SSH / permissions problem

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jul 13 20:12:10 UTC 2010

Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This seems like de ja vu, but I can't find anything in the archives.
>
> I've got F13 on my laptop, and also on a new virtual server.
>
> I've copied my home directory from my old server to my new one and then tried
> to ssh to the new server.  However, I have a problem
>
> If I ssh to root on the new server everything is fine, but if I ssh to my user
> I get errors and X forwarding doesn't work.
>
> Can anyone suggest things for me to look at / try.

Well my first thought is that you should disable shh to root... It's a security
hole.

On your question:

Did you copy the public key for the machine you ssh from to the authorized keys
file? Are the machines you use in each other's known hosts file? Has the UID on
the new machine changed to not match the original?

And can you be a little more specific than "I get errors" and show us exactly
what errors?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>