sshd Authentication refused

jack craig jcraig at extraview.com
Tue Jul 13 21:11:36 UTC 2010

On 07/13/2010 01:36 PM, David Highley wrote:
> "jack craig wrote:"
>

>> On 07/13/2010 11:16 AM, David Highley wrote:
>>
>>> New install of Fedora 13 we get the following /var/log/secure entry when
>>> we ssh from a Fedora 12 system to the Fedora 13 system:
>>> Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file /home/dhighley/.ssh/authorized_keys
>>>
>>> We have checked and tried different modes until we are blue in the face.
>>> Have read the upates notes for openssh and Fedora 13 release. Googled
>>> the net for know issues and bugzilla.redhat.com. We did check for
>>> selinux blocks and found none.
>>>
>>> User home directory is auto NFS mounted and we use NIS. This works
>>> Fedora 12 to Fedora 12.
>>>

>> Hi David,
>>
>> I use this feature of ssh a lot.
>>
>> i like to debug as, ...
>>
>> ssh user at host date
>>
>> so it fails...  now try,
>>
>> ssh -v -v -v user at host date
>>
>> what does this tell you?
>>
> Nice
>
> [dhighley at spruce ~]$ ssh -v -v -v redwood date

i am going to assume for the moment you have created new key files and
loaded them to the
authorized_keys file.

so, this is going to sound bizarre, but try it...

lets talk client and server to identify the 2 hosts in your issue.

on each host, in the home directory,

$ mv .ssh .ssh_save

log out of each of cleint & server

log into client

try access the server via ssh cmd (ok if it fails), logout again.

login and on each of client & server,

$ mv .ssh_save .ssh    (make sure the perms stayed as 700)

now try your

$ ssh user at host date

again, any luck?

--