os that rather uses the gpu?

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 21:50:35 UTC 2010

On 07/13/2010 01:46 PM, Jozsi Avadkan wrote:
> Does someone know a distribution/operating system, that rather uses the
> GPU for "working", not the CPU? [by default]
>
> Or this solution is still in the "beginning part"?
>
> Thanks for any tips, link, suggestions.

Yes, unfortunately it is windows 7 and soon to be Windows 8 will use GPU
for Floating point calculation.

It is very much needed in Linux.

I tried Windows 7 and the Movie playes/ converters are using GPU for
added speed to the conversions.

I am keeping my eye's out for news about Linux doing the saame as GPU's
are extremely fast and should be built in to OS's for calculation and
not just video display

Michael