New Update has no kmod for new kernel and new nvidia driver

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 07:22:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:42 AM, Michael Miles <mmamiga6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 06:06 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>> --- On Tue, 7/13/10, Michael Miles<mmamiga6 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Fedora 12 x86_64
>>>
>>> I did look this time and it seems the gods that have
>>> control did not
>>> give a kmod for the new Nvidia driver 195.36.31 for the new
>>> kernel
>>> 2.6.32.16-141.
>>> It has a kmod there for the old kernel 2.6.32.14-127
>>>
>>> The metapackage is there to track in new kmod but if there
>>> is no kmod
>>> there how can it track in?
>>>
>>> Anyway I hope nobody just pressed "update" without
>>> checking
>>>
>> That's why I update manually.  No auto-update for me.  I don't even use the -y switch with yum, so I can still opt out of the update after I see the download list.
>>
>> As far as the new kmod, wait a few days, then check again.  The longest I had to wait one time (with F9) was a week, but most times it was a day or two.  However, I don't have to wait anymore:  F12's nouveau works just fine with my old GeForce 6600 card.

> It just seems odd that this would be overlooked as to someone who is
> newer to Linux than myself could find themselves in trouble if they just
> updated because the system says there are updates.

It is not "overlooked" by the Fedora package builders - remember that
the Nvidia drivers are built by rpmfusion and not in the Fedora update
system. So they are on a "third party" repo and the guys at rpmfusion
will take some time to build the nvidia stuff for a new kernel once it
is released. As a previous poster mentioned - just wait a few days and
try again. In the meantime it is quite easy to boot back to the
previous kernel where you had the nvidia stuff in place - then when
the new kmod is available and installed then boot into the new kernel
with the new kmod......
--
mike c