SSH / permissions problem

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 08:57:41 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 13 July 2010 20:23:05 Patrick Kobly wrote:
> Late to the party, but:
>
> $ ls -ld /home/gary
> $ ls -l /home/gary/.Xauthority
>
> post the results
>
> $ rm /home/gary/.Xauthority
>
> try again.
>
> Chances are a stale .Xauthority file exists that's owned by the UID of
> the gary account on the old server.  Might want to recursively chown the
> contents of the home dir if that's the case:
>
> # chown -R gary /home/gary
>
> PK

As I've said on another reply I've deleted .Xauthority file.

However, checking the new one having tried to log in a few times I have found
that it hasn't been recreated.

The permission for the home directory is:

[root at lcomp3 gary]# ls -ld /home/gary
drwxr-xr-x. 82 gary gary 20480 Jul 14 09:33 /home/gary

Gary

--
Gary Stainburn