New Update has no kmod for new kernel and new nvidia driver

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Wed Jul 14 11:14:46 UTC 2010

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:42 AM, Michael Miles <mmamiga6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That's why I update manually.  No auto-update for me.  I don't even use the
-y switch with yum, so I can still opt out of the update after I see the
download list.

> >> As far as the new kmod, wait a few days, then check again.  The longest I
had to wait one time (with F9) was a week, but most times it was a day or two.
 However, I don't have to wait anymore:  F12's nouveau works just fine with my
old GeForce 6600 card.

> > It just seems odd that this would be overlooked as to someone who is
> > newer to Linux than myself could find themselves in trouble if they just
> > updated because the system says there are updates.
>
> It is not "overlooked" by the Fedora package builders - remember that
> the Nvidia drivers are built by rpmfusion and not in the Fedora update
> system. So they are on a "third party" repo and the guys at rpmfusion
> will take some time to build the nvidia stuff for a new kernel once it
> is released. As a previous poster mentioned - just wait a few days and
> try again. In the meantime it is quite easy to boot back to the
> previous kernel where you had the nvidia stuff in place - then when
> the new kmod is available and installed then boot into the new kernel
> with the new kmod......

On my system I use "akmods" & "akmods-nvidia"  The way it works for me is that
if necessary "akmods" rebuilds the nVidia kernel module when I reboot into a new
kernel.  Some people have no luck with the "akmods" method.  For me, it has
always worked perfectly.

This is on Fedora 13.

Steven P. Ulrick