Firefox / Thunderbird setup niggle

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 13:45:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 22:07 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 15:27 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Thunderbird and Firefox are GTK apps, not QT ones, so you have to
> > modify the Gnome environment and not the KDE one.
>
> Shouldn't that be, then, having to use a GTK configurator, more than
> having to using something Gnome?

As I understand it, the Gnome config stuff (Gconf) implies a substratum
of GTK libraries communicating over DBus. That's what I mean by "Gnome
environment". Whether the actual configuration app is part of the Gnome
distro isn't important, but it does need to use the libraries. So in
theory one could have a QT-based app that interfaced to GTK, or even a
version of the KDE System Settings panel that fully understood Gconf,
but for the moment we don't.

poc