New Update has no kmod for new kernel and new nvidia driver

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 17:27:37 UTC 2010

On 07/14/2010 04:14 AM, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> -y switch with yum, so I can still opt out of the update after I see the
> download list.

> had to wait one time (with F9) was a week, but most times it was a day or two.
>   However, I don't have to wait anymore:  F12's nouveau works just fine with my
> old GeForce 6600 card.

>>> It just seems odd that this would be overlooked as to someone who is
>>> newer to Linux than myself could find themselves in trouble if they just
>>> updated because the system says there are updates.
>>>
>> It is not "overlooked" by the Fedora package builders - remember that
>> the Nvidia drivers are built by rpmfusion and not in the Fedora update
>> system. So they are on a "third party" repo and the guys at rpmfusion
>> will take some time to build the nvidia stuff for a new kernel once it
>> is released. As a previous poster mentioned - just wait a few days and
>> try again. In the meantime it is quite easy to boot back to the
>> previous kernel where you had the nvidia stuff in place - then when
>> the new kmod is available and installed then boot into the new kernel
>> with the new kmod......
>>
> On my system I use "akmods"&  "akmods-nvidia"  The way it works for me is that
> if necessary "akmods" rebuilds the nVidia kernel module when I reboot into a new
> kernel.  Some people have no luck with the "akmods" method.  For me, it has
> always worked perfectly.
>
> This is on Fedora 13.
>
> Steven P. Ulrick

I fully understand the obligations of Fedora and RPMFusion and I do
understand that it is easy to fall back if thing don't work like they
are supposed to but to a person who just loaded Fedora for the first
time might be really baffled when they do an update and find the system
will not boot up.

I just think the updates should be held back until all the required
software is present.

Michael