New Update has no kmod for new kernel and new nvidia driver

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 18:15:05 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 10:27 AM, Michael Miles wrote:
> I fully understand the obligations of Fedora and RPMFusion and I do
> understand that it is easy to fall back if thing don't work like they
> are supposed to but to a person who just loaded Fedora for the first
> time might be really baffled when they do an update and find the system
> will not boot up.

Some one who has RPMFusion installed is definitely not a brand new user,
and some one who has the proprietary nvidia drivers installed are
definitely not a novice. After all, they managed to follow the
instructions on the RPMFusion wiki to blacklist nouveau.

> I just think the updates should be held back until all the required
> software is present.

By default fedora provides nouveau, which works. I find it works well
enough to even support dual screens (I have tried it with Ubuntu Lucid).
So someone using the proprietary drivers made a choice knowingly about
the pitfalls.

However something that could be improved is probably the instructions on
the RPMFusion wiki, to include this warning and explicitly state "wait
and update" would be a healthy practice for a system using proprietary
drivers (and maybe even the fedoraproject wiki?).

> Michael

Just my 2 cents.

PS: With all these kmod problems suddenly ATI looks very promising to me
with much better working opensource drivers.

--
Suvayu