New Update has no kmod for new kernel and new nvidia driver

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Jul 14 18:38:38 UTC 2010

On 07/14/2010 10:27 AM, Michael Miles wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 04:14 AM, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>> On my system I use "akmods"&   "akmods-nvidia"  The way it works for me is that
>> if necessary "akmods" rebuilds the nVidia kernel module when I reboot into a new
>> kernel.  Some people have no luck with the "akmods" method.  For me, it has
>> always worked perfectly.
>>
>> This is on Fedora 13.
>>
>> Steven P. Ulrick
>>
> I fully understand the obligations of Fedora and RPMFusion and I do
> understand that it is easy to fall back if thing don't work like they
> are supposed to but to a person who just loaded Fedora for the first
> time might be really baffled when they do an update and find the system
> will not boot up.
>
> I just think the updates should be held back until all the required
> software is present.

Chicken and egg, Michael.  They can't do kmods until the kernel is out
and with your suggestion, the kernel can't come out until the kmods are
done.

I agree it's a problem.  As long as there are two groups working on it
(kernel and kmods) and there's little communication pre-release between
them, I don't see a simple resolution.

I can see two possible solutions.  One would take the form of yum
checking to see if kmods are needed for a new kernel on the system and
not downloading the kernel if the kmods aren't available.  Simply
using dependencies isn't feasible as that would block people who don't
need the kmods from using the kernel when it's released.  Yum would need
to do some snooping on the system to find if kmods are needed or not.

The second could be the grub updater doing a similar thing and not
making the new kernel the default booting kernel if kmods don't exist.
It'd have to do a similar kind of snoop that yum would have to do.

I don't think either of these will be forthcoming anytime soon.