[OT] vi question

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Wed Jul 14 20:48:22 UTC 2010

Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> On 2010-07-14 19:26, Mike Wright wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm wasting a lot of time (probably because of a brain fart) googling
>> for this.
>>
>> I'm using Zend_Framework to generate some html which it unfortunately
>> does as one giant line.  I'm pretty sure it has an error but can't find
>> the missing/extra tag without formatting the html with line feeds.
>>
>> Will somebody tell me the symbol to use for a linefeed in substitutions
>>   as in
>> 	:s1,$#</tag>#</tag>linefeed#g
>>
>> tia,
>> Mike Wright
>
> Type control-V control-M.

Thanks, Sjoerd, for the reply but that didn't work for me.

When I entered Ctrl-V as part of the substitution line 1 of the document
was inserted at the end.  Then when I pressed "u" to undo it it proudly
announced that 195 lines had been deleted.

I've done this many times before but I just can't remember how I did it :(

Thanks again,
Mike