os that rather uses the gpu?

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 15 04:27:40 UTC 2010

On 07/14/2010 08:43 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Jozsi Avadkan wrote:
>> Does someone know a distribution/operating system, that rather uses the
>> GPU for "working", not the CPU? [by default]
>>
> Other than internal use as part of a display driver, what do you think a kernel
> would do with a GPU? There essentially no FP in the kernel.
>
>> Or this solution is still in the "beginning part"?
>>
>> Thanks for any tips, link, suggestions.

Agreed that an OS kernel hasn't much use for a GPU. But it should be
easy to add a small general purpose CPU (ARM or Intel Atom) and a couple
of usb ports to the card and move X completely to the video card. Just
like a remote X server only in the same box.

I really think the OP was referring to having user mode code take
advantage of the high processing power of modern GPUs. It works now, but
could be improved if the OS contained specialized scheduling support for
these kinds of jobs.

Regards,

John