[OT] vi question

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo nospaze at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 06:40:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 16:09 -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
> Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 10:26 -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
> >> I'm using Zend_Framework to generate some html which it unfortunately
> >> does as one giant line.  I'm pretty sure it has an error but can't find
> >> the missing/extra tag without formatting the html with line feeds.
> >>
> >> Will somebody tell me the symbol to use for a linefeed in substitutions
> >>   as in
> >> 	:s1,$#</tag>#</tag>linefeed#g
> >
> > You mean \r ?
>
> Eres mi heroe.

/me sparks!

> That is the solution.

Inside vi, \r means carriage-return, could be written as
[CTRL-V]+<ENTER>, or as someone pointed, [CTRL+V][CTRL+M], depending on
the terminal, AFAIK; the well known "\n" does not make a newline, but a
NULL character, which does not break the line...

Good luck.
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo - nospaze at gmail.com
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962