Minimum Required RPM Packages for Running Fedora

siavash ghiasvand siavash.ghiyasvand at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 09:08:55 UTC 2010

> I have a headless machine that serves as a router, a web and mail server,
> and a firewall. I stripped it down as much as possible, while still leaving
> a usable system that can be upgraded normally.
>
> Right now, there are 458 rpm packages on it.
>
> There are no development tools of any kind there, no X, no Gnome. Well,
> almost no X, some X stuff gets pulled in because of apcupsd-cgi -- there's a
> UPS attached to it. Dropping that will probably bring the total count to
> about 430, or so packages.
>
> By comparison, my desktops are somewhere north of 1100 packages.

Dear Sam,
Thanks for your time, actually I reduced the number of packages to
less than 130 cause I'm not even need mail server, firewall, ... .

> As I said, to determine your own minimum, start with a base install and
> work down from there.  Look at requires/depends with rpm, and run "yum
> remove foo" (and answer "n" if you don't like what is going to be
> removed).

Dear Chris,
I've followed this way and now I have a working Fedora with less than
130 packages. Now all those remained packages have many dependencies
to fundamental packages but I think some of those dependencies can be
ignored.

Best Regards,
Siavash Ghiasvand