New Update has no kmod for new kernel and new nvidia driver

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:26:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, July 15, 2010 06:51:31 Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>>
>> That's not how it works and not what --skip-broken does.  That option
>> skips trying to update packages for which there are broken
>> dependencies.  In this case, there are no broken dependencies.  The
>> new kernel is available, installable, and all packages on which it
>> depends are available and installable.  The Fedora kernel does not
>> have a dependency defined for the proprietary nVidia driver, so it's
>> not considered broken when it "can't" be updated.
>
> True. But I am sure it would be easy for some rpmfusion developer to create a
> custom yum plugin that would check the existence of an appropriate kmod
> package for every new kernel that is to be pulled in on an update, and if the
> kmod is missing, do the yum update exclude=kernel* instead. This plugin could
> be a dependency of kmod-nvidia, and only users who install kmod-nvidia would
> use it.
>
> If the rpmfusion repo provides the 3rd party software, they could easily
> provide the above custom yum plugin, right? That way the entire thing can be
> made fully automatic and the user need not worry about it. Once the user
> installs the kmod-nvidia package, the nvidia-kernel-yum plugin gets pulled as
> a dependency, installed, enabled, and from then on everything is transparent
> to the user.
>
> We only need to convince someone knowledgeable to write that plugin and
> package it to rpmfusion repo. AFAIK, once this plugin is done, it doesn't even
> need any maintenance or so. Hell, if I had a free week to learn yum a bit, I
> would do it myself. And I don't even use any nvidia cards under Fedora atm...

This is actually a really good idea, and also puts the onus for clean
proprietary kmod integration where it belongs (if not in the user's
hands), on the packager of the kmod.  Who would need convincing to
take a look at this?  I'd hate to approach the RPM Fusion team and
say, "provide this."

I'm in the same boat as you with regards to "learning yum internals"
and "not using nvidia cards under Fedora".  It sounds like it would be
a fun project!

--
Chris