Phone calls from laptop

Tim Van Dyne Tim.VanDyne at valleyair.org
Thu Jul 15 18:17:42 UTC 2010

>> My laptop has a internal modem and RJ-11 connector. I want to connect

>> the phone line to the laptop and by using head phones I want to make
>> calls. How to do this? Is there any software available to do this?
>>
>> Kishore
>>
>Yes, it's called Skype.  You of course need a dial-up ISP.  A bit o.t.
>
>Last time I tried running Skype in Fedora it worked fine, though I
>wasn't using a dial-up.  They had the best voice quality of any VOIP I
>had tried at that time, meaning, better algorithms and better chance of

>success under dial-up bandwidth.  It's been a couple of years, though.

>Not sure if the stock Fedora even comes with the dial-up software any
>more, though probably easy to install.
>
>Come to think of it, it shouldn't be such a bandwidth hog, digitizing
>voice then presumably compressing it to near its Shanon entropy.

Fedora's default doesn't install the dialup tools, it's just a click
away though.  The other night I happened to be monitoring my skype
session with tools in pfsense & found that it was consuming between
100-200KB all the time while connected with video.  I haven't done
audio-only in a LONG time so I'm not sure on that end.