os that rather uses the gpu?

Robert Myers rbmyersusa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 23:39:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 07/15/2010 04:21 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com
> > <mailto:jd1008 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >        For many years, this has been
> >     a tug of war between
> >     industry on one side, and the department of defense and the NSA on
> the
> >     other.
> >

> > You left out the Department of Energy, which is a much bigger player
> > than the DoD.
> >
> > Meaningful computational power has been available on desktops for
> > quite a while, and, if one desktop wasn't enough, you could always
> > Beowulf it, which isn't much different from what the DoE has been doing.
> >
> > If you think flops is a good measure of the science you can do, you
> > should probably be in a different business.
> >
> > Robert.
> >
> On this list, I do not think you should be in the business of
> 1- putting your words in other people's mouths
> 2- telling people what business they should or should not be in.

Thanks for the advice.

I've been involved in this debate in a very public way for a long time now.

YOU chose to use this list to advocate a position that the DoE has been
using for years to convince people that ever bigger computers are a good way
to spend money.  If you didn't say it, you certainly strongly implied it
(more flops is better).

I answered you because you stepped on MY toes.

How long have you been around?  The Cray-1 was practically synonymous with
"supercomputer," and that kind of power has been available to desktop users
for a long time now.

Robert.