Trying to get eagle pcb software installed on F13 x64

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jul 15 23:33:44 UTC 2010

Mick M. writes:

> Hi;
>  I am getting into the arduino world.
> There is a company called seeeduino that will do pcb's for you.
> (http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page)
>
> This is all new to me, I make my own pcb;s the old way.
> Anyway I tried to install the eagle package:
> http://www.cadsoft.de/download.htm
>
> I get:
> [root at localhost EAGLE-TEST]# bash ./eagle-lin-5.10.0.run
>
> /tmp/eagle-setup.7048/eagle-5.10.0/bin/eagle: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That looks like an old version of OpenSSL.

> I tried it as 'mick' then as 'root' same.
>
> So I tried to install the dependency:
>
> [root at localhost EAGLE-TEST]# yum install libssl.so.0.9.8

An error message "cannot find library X" does not mean that "library X"
would be found in a package called "X".

Generally, when you install something without using rpm or yum, and
something is missing, there is no methodical step to figure out the correct
package to install. Were you to install an rpm package, yum would figure out
itself what the dependencies are, and install them automatically.

> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
>
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package AdobeReader_jpn.i486 0:9.3.2-1 set to be updated
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution

I have absolutely no idea why yum thinks openssl gets installed by this
package which appears to be from a vendor-specific, non-Fedora repository
that you've added to the list of yum repositories you pull packages from.

> Dependencies Resolved
>
> Installing:
>  AdobeReader_jpn                    i486                    9.3.2-1                     adobe-linux-i386                     69 M
>
> Transaction Summary
> ==================================================================================================================================
> Install       1 Package(s)
> Upgrade       0 Package(s)
>
> Total size: 69 M
> Installed size: 155 M
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Downloading Packages:
> Running rpm_check_debug
> Running Transaction Test
>

> Transaction Check Error:
>   file /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/install_browser_plugin from install of AdobeReader_jpn-9.3.2-1.i486 conflicts with file from package AdobeReader_enu-9.3.2-1.i486
>   file /opt/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread from install of AdobeReader_jpn-9.3.2-1.i486 conflicts with file from package AdobeReader_enu-9.3.2-1.i486
>   file /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib/libicudata.so.36.0 from install of AdobeReader_jpn-9.3.2-1.i486 conflicts with file from package AdobeReader_enu-9.3.2-1.i486
>
> Error Summary
> -------------
>
> Is this the right file? adobe reader Japanese?

Definitely not.

> [root at localhost EAGLE-TEST]#
>
> So how do I install the package?

You don't. You could try building your own rpms of the old openssl libraries
for Fedora, but it sounds like this may be somewhat above your level of
knowledge.

> Is there another pcb package that I could use?

Don't know. One useful tip is to always review the documentation of what you
want to download, first.

On that download link, clicking on the "FAQ" link brings up a package that
babbles something about Fedora 10. So, you know that this stuff is, in
Internet time, ancient stuff, and is not likely to work on Fedora 13.

Scrutinizing the babbling further, a discovery is made that not only
this stuff is build for Fedora 10, but it's 32 bit stuff, and would require
32 bit compat libraries on x86_64 Fedora.

To summarize, your situation is:

1) A package built for 32 bit Fedora 10. You're running 64 bit Fedora 13.

2) You have yum configured to pull from additional, non-Fedora, yum
repositories.

3) yum for some strange reason thinks that the package "libssl.so.0.9.8"
contains Adobe Reader files. Adobe Reader is, as you know, a PDF reader. I'm
stumped WTF yum would reach that conclusion. This doesn't really have any
direct relevance on your main issue, it's just an interesting value-added
puzzle.