Thunderbird Fonts

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Fri Jul 16 00:45:34 UTC 2010

On 07/15/2010 12:58 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> I know how to change the font size for the message pane in Thunderbird
> (^-/^+).  What I'd like to do is reduce the font size in the folders
> pane (so that I can see more folders in the list).  I looked through the
> about:config and nothing jumped out at me.  Is this something I can
> configure (and if not, why not)?

  There is (as of yet) no gui to do this with fine control - the font
size settings Edit-> Prefs allow you to choose fonts and size - but not
control separately the sizes in different panels.

  What you need to do is in your ~/.thunderbird/<profile>/chrome
directory - create (by copying the example) a userChrome.css file.

  Then - mozilla website has detailed instructions on how to set the
fonts, sizes etc for different areas in thunderbird (menu, index,
preview pane, message list) etc.

  Things like

menu,menulist,menuitem {
   font-family Verdana !important ;
   font-size 12pt !important'
}
treechildren {
   font-size: 16px;
}

etc etc ... I dont have the website handy but its on mozilla and I'm
sure you'll find it!

  You do have very very fine control on fonts - but its not clicky!

 good luck.

gene/