Phone calls from laptop

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Fri Jul 16 20:58:22 UTC 2010

JD wrote:
>   On 07/16/2010 12:53 PM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

>> With this kind of hardware, sending audio captured by a mic to
>> the they-call-me-modem-but-i-m-a-soundcard component should be
>> quite easy to do.
>> But I don't know if such a software exists.
>>
> Isn't that accomplished by this windows app?
> http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-154-call-center

I'm not sure. They say "if your modem supports vocal telephony".
If my memory is right, there were voice-extensions to the AT modem
command set to make audio calls. That is, there was a way to pass
audio data to the modem, but there were some processing
in the modem... for example you pass ADPCM compressed audio and
the modem plays them into the line.

In 2010 it would be more reasonable to skip everything and play
directly into the line jack. :-)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it