f13: nouveau driver vs google earth

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 11:39:20 UTC 2010

I've just installed f13 on a laptop. I have an nvidia card, and no
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. I can see from /var/log/Xorg.0.log that the
nouveau driver has been loaded. However when I run googleearth I get a
message on stdout

Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

and googleearth complains about running in software emulation mode. If I run

% glxinfo |grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
    GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_fragment_program,

Do I need to install or configure something or is nouveau still only a
2D driver?

Regards,

Chris