A bit of a problem with a Linux/XP dual boot setup...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 18:36:36 UTC 2010

On Saturday, July 17, 2010 02:25:52 pm JB did opine:

> Gene Heskett <gene.heskett <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > please edit file
> > >
> > >   # vi /etc/grub.conf
> > >
> > > and make sure that your Windows section reads like
> >
> > ===================>
> >
> > > title Windows XP
> > > rootnoverify (hd1,1)
> > > makeactive
> > > chainloader +1
> >
> > ===================>
> > Will this same sequence work with a linux install that uses grub 2?
> >
> > > File it and reboot.
> > >
> > > For your info:
> > > The rootnoverify option tells GRUB to not try to verify the root of
> > > the OS. This avoids load errors if the file system is not supported
> > > by GRUB. JB
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Hi,
> with grub2 it is a different story.
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2
> par 1.1 Notes for current GRUB users
> Device naming has changed between GRUB and GRUB2. Partitions are
> numbered from 1 instead of 0 while drives are still numbered from 0.
> For example, /dev/sda1 would be referred to as (hd0,1) using GRUB2.

I had already run into that, thanks.

> http://grub.enbug.org/CommandList
> Command     | GRUB Legacy | GRUB 2   | Comments
> root          	yes           	replaced   now a variable
> rootnoverify  yes           	no         	useless

and ignored I assume.  But what then causes the grub2 stuff to be loaded
from /dev/sdX's MBR and a restart then done using grub2's menu's?  The
"chainloader + 1" I have previously tried and wasn't able to make it work,
with or without spaces surrounding the '+'. Probably a typu on my part, but
the docs, what there is, are exceedingly sparse on the rules and syntax to
make grub actually do its dance.

> JB

Thanks, JB.

--