os that rather uses the gpu?

Darr darr at core.com
Sat Jul 17 20:12:41 UTC 2010

On Thursday, 15 July, 2010 @23:21 zulu, Robert Myers scribed:
> You left out the Department of Energy, which is a much bigger
> player than the DoD.

Well, it sure would be nice if the DoE spent some of our
tax dollars making applications like the Clean Energy phase
2 task, being run by IBM's World Community Grid project
(http://worldcommunitygrid.org/research/cep2/overview.do )
and Harvard, that would use the GPU[s] from nVidia and ATI.

WCG uses Berkeley's BOINC framework that I mentioned
in my reply to the OP (whose author has not posted again, btw).

However, the applications that run in BOINC must be written
especially to make use of the GPU[s], and not all do (in fact,
none of the applications/tasks currently running at WCG can
use the GPU, and most that do under BOINC are windows-only).