Who's moderating this forum?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 00:21:02 UTC 2010

On 07/18/2010 05:14 AM, Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Rahul Sundaram  wrote:
>

>     Governance in Fedora is rather light weight and board in
>     particular does
>     not interfere in day to day routine work which is led by contributors.
>

> Sometimes, the problem is not what they do but what they don't do.
> There is no instructions to install nvidia drivers on Fedora's site.
> Normal, since Fedora doesn't encourage the use of proprietary
> software. So, a place like FedoraFaq provides instructions,
> instructions that don't work (at least until lately). I know by
> experience.  I know too that wrong instructions are all over the place.

I don't know what you consider as wrong instructions but you can write
directly to them.  Since fedorafaq is a unofficial website, there is
zero board control over it.  It is a community and doesn't follow a
authoritarian hierarchy.  Everyone plays their part.

> A copyrighted name is very important, not only for proprietary
> software but for open source software too, I would say even more,
> because of the resources multinational companies have at their
> disposal to set blogs, lists or forums awry. I don't say if it's the
> case now, but I know it could happen. In a word, if Linux can't be
> bought, it can be subverted easily by a lack of regulation.

"copyrighted name" makes no sense.  I assume you are talking about
trademarks but Fedora trademark license on community websites does not
include control over content.  It is not possible to moderate all
community forums like that anyway.

> From their biography, how many do you believe are programmers? Not too
> many I would think. So, how come there are so many programmers on
> Fedora's board and so little on Red Hat's

Another factually inaccurate assertion that Fedora Board members are all
programmers.  Far from the case.  Stop assuming that.   It is also
important to note that community governance is very different from
corporate governance.

Rahul