Wo, I'm asking RPMfusion how to uninstall Kmod nvidia

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 02:26:55 UTC 2010

In the thread 'Who's moderating this forum? ", On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 5:12
PM, Darr <darr at core.com> gave a few suggestions to remove the Nvidia driver
and to make Nouveau work.

Since somebody from Nouveau told me on this list that installing Nvidia
drivers is not a one way ticket that will prevent users to get back to
Nouveau and that RPMfusion should provide instructions to remove
kmod-nvidia, I'm following the instructions provided by RPMfusion. The
instructions are the following:

Disable or uninstall the nvidia driver

It is possible to disable the driver without uninstalling the nvidia
package.

nvidia-config-display disable
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Or you can switch the Driver field from nvidia to nouveau in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf You also need to verify that /boot/grub/grub.conf doesn't
contain nomodeset or rdblacklist=nouveau anymore.

Then you will need to reboot. (or switch to init3 and manually
unloading/loading modules.).

Once done, if you really want to uninstall the driver:

yum remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia\* livna-config-display

http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia#head-3fe8fc42e24a89aff36645e27644b1f6445a9ee6

==============

Here's what Darr suggested:

>    Did you undo the other steps, such as removing the blacklist
>   in /etc/modprobe.d/ and/or any parameters added to grub.conf
>  (e.g. rdblacklist=nouveau) ?

As you can see, Mr Chauvet, who wrote those instructions, didn't ask to
check anything in /etc/modprobe.d/ . So, I didn't.

>  Did you remake the initramfs file with dracut (or mv the
>  original one made before the kmod-nvidia drivers were
>  installed back to its original name) after undoing those steps?

As you can see again the word initramfs doesn't appear anywhere in the
instructions provided.

For now, I only tried to disable kmod-nvidia and, as you can see here:

http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-users/2010-July/000702.html

I didn't have much success. Maybe the kernel panic was due to something I
did wrong, but I retried and I suppose things should have worked afterwards.
They didn't.

> Since the steps/methods vary according to whichever procedure
> you used, generic 'undo' instructions (other than "undo all the
> steps of the procedure[s] you followed") is pretty-much impossible.

I've used RPMfusion's instruction to install and I'm asking RPMfusion
instructions on how to uninstall.

If you want to make suggestions, you may write to Nicholas Chauvet at:

Thanks for your contribution. I'm sure that with all the competent people on
this list, RPMfusion will soon have some fine instructions to remove the
kmod driver on its site.