Question on recording of audio output of steaming websites from sound card in my Fedora Linux 11

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 19 05:42:03 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 17:53 +0530, ranjan sundar wrote:
> I am playing Shoutcast radio online in my browser and looking at many
> websites i tried to do some steps on vlc,audacity etc etc. nothing
> works. Moreover those websites ask me to download the metafile and
> look for mms,rtsp and stuff like that and the do the recording stuffs.
> im unable to get those metafiles.

Often, but not always, when you have one of those metafile URIs, you can
give the address to mplayer, and let it handle it.

e.g. mplayer -playlist http://example.com/playlist.m3u
(likewise with various other protocols than HTTP).

If that manages to play it, then you can so something similar, adding
dumpstream options to the command line.  To pipe the output to a file,
instead of through the sound hardware.

mplayer -dumpfile savedfilename -vc dummy -vo null -dumpstream -playlist http://example.com/streamname.m3u

Then, if you want to monitor what's happening, you can play the file
being dumped to the drive, *as* it's being dumped, with another instance
of mplayer.  Just wait a while before issuing the command, so that
you've got enough of the stream downloaded to your drive.

mplayer savedfilename

Messy and convoluted, but I've done that with a radio station stream
that was impossible to listen to live (it kept on stuttering).

> is there a generic procedure to record audio output from sound card in
> my Fedora Linux 11 ?

Well, to answer your query literally, if you want to record the audio
that's put out by the card, it is possible to connect a patch lead from
the output socket, back to an input socket, and record *that*.  Be sure
that the input socket doesn't go back through to the output, as well.

e.g. Sound card line out to sound card line in.
     Line in recording volume control turned up sufficiently.
     Line in monitoring volume control completely off.

There were some sound cards that did make it easy to record the output
data just by playing with the mixer controls.  But if you had one of
them, you'd probably have found the controls to play with, by now.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.