Flash on 64 bit systems (was Re: Firefox 4 repo)

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 07:28:27 UTC 2010

On Monday 19 July 2010 12:17 AM, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> So yes, the software "works well" in much the same way that "an unpatched
> Windows XP works well" but leaves you open to compromise.  Note the key
> sentence here: "There are reports that this vulnerability is being actively
> exploited in the wild against both Adobe Flash Player, and Adobe Reader and
> Acrobat."
>
> I'm not sure I'd have such a caviler attitude toward it as you.
>
> [1]http://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa10-01.html
> [2]http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2010-1297

Thanks for the concern Chris. My only use for flash is youtube and maybe
a few more well reputed mainstream websites/services. I don't want to
end up with an unstable FF as its a major part of almost everything I
do. And my previous experiences with nsplugin-wrapper have been _very_ bad.

Would you say use of noscript or flashblock would be a good compromise?
If not what are my other options? (maybe I should start a new thread for
this discussion)

--
Suvayu