Who's moderating this forum?

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 12:23:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 13:13 -0400, Marcel Rieux wrote:
>> > The prerequisite is that Red Hat employees have some common sense
>> > themselves... Of course, we all know that Fedora being an entity
>> > completely separate from Red Hat is just a figment of the imagination.
>> > Fedora's constitution -- whose link should appear on the welcome page
>> > but is very hard to find: I can't at the moment -- says that a
>> > majority of the board members, including the Project Leader, should be
>> > from Red Hat.
>>
>> Normally I wouldn't have spent time on this conversation
>
> I'm really glad to hear that you don't lose your time in a users'
> conversation  about RH where the likes of Rahul Sundaram and Alan Cox
> participate.

It has little to do with the venue, and more to do with the tone
you've brought to it, Marcel. I do try to answer questions here when I
have a chance, as you'll see from list archives.

>> The Board's information is located in a searchable
>
> I searched with constitution and statuses and never got to the page. How the
> Board is elected should be part of a constitution or statuses or, as we say
> in French Réglements de Régie interne.

Just because you prefer those terms does not make them logical for
everyone. A simple search for "Board" would provide everything you
need, whether you search on the Mediawiki or through Google ("Fedora
Board").

>> and easily found place:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board
>

> Unfortunately http://fedoraproject.org/wiki defaults to
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Project_Wiki and the words Board,
> constitution or statuses are nowhere to be found on this page. I believe
> there is still place for a little effort.

The answer to every question is not to load yet more information on an
already crowded front page.

>> The Fedora Project Leader is a Red Hat employee, that much is true.
>> There are *no* requirements that a majority of Board members be from Red
>> Hat.
>
> Thanks for clarifying this.
>

>> Five seats on the Board are elected by the community at large, and
>> four seats are appointed by the FPL.  In past cycles, the community has
>> elected both Red Hat employees and volunteers to Board seats, and the
>> FPL has appointed both Red Hat employees and volunteers to Board seats.
>
> Let's see the end result:
>
> Works for RH:
>
> Christopher Aillon is the Desktop Applications Engineering Team Lead for Red
> Hat
>
> Stephen Smoogen -- Stephen is a Fedora Infrastructure Minion for Red Hat,
> where he has worked since 2009.
>
> Colin Walters -- is a Software Engineer on Red Hat's desktop team
>
> Tom "spot" Callaway has worked for Red Hat since 2001
>
> Additionally, there is a Chairman appointed by Red Hat, also called Fedora
> project leader, who has <B>veto power over any decision</B>. Jared K. Smith
> joined Red Hat in July 2010 as the Fedora Project Leader, taking over from
> Paul Frields.
>
> Doesn't work for RH:
>
> Jon Stanley -- Jon is a long-time contributor to Fedora
>
> Rex Dieter works as Computer System Administrator in the Mathematics
> Department at the University of Nebraska Lincoln.
>
> Matt Domsch is a Technology Strategist in the Dell Office of the CTO.
>
> Máirín Duffy -- a Boston-based Red Hatter who started as an unpaid intern in
> 2004 and is now a senior interaction designer there.

Máirín Duffy does work for Red Hat, as you indicate here.

> Chris Tyler is a professor at Seneca College
>
> So, that's 5 to 5. Of course, people who don't work for Red Hat are srill
> pretty close to Red Hat, which is normal. You don't expect Debian developers
> to be part of the Fedora board.

Great, so we agree that the Board's comprised of Red Hat employees and
volunteers, and there are no requirements regarding employment either
way.

Paul