DVD writing oddity

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 19 16:25:31 UTC 2010

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-07-18 at 22:45 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> If it's one-time use, I don't understand your comment about recompiling
>>> to use a different option.
>>>
>> One of many one time uses, actually. Different enough that a script is not a
>> time saver.
>
> You mean you recompile every time there's an update? How is that a time
> saver? Since you're not actually changing the funcionality, just the
> names of some options, I still don't get it.

Recompiled once to use a shorter name for the option. Shorter name gets typed
whenever a one-off situation requires. Since the command entered is not the same
each time, even with arguments, scripts are not particularly useful.

If you like the --oh-my-god-I-really-want-to-do-this-so-BAD style options, use
them in peace. I won't criticize your demonstration of typing skills. I just
find a 20 character option saying that an operation is dangerous to be silly,
any operation involving writing raw SCSI commands to a drive as root is
inherently dangerous.

Time to use the --oh-crap-this-thread-has-gotten-longer-than-the-annoying-option
option.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>