Preupgrade F11 ---> F12 ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 19 22:29:54 UTC 2010

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Tue, 7/13/10, Peter Diercks <di-listen at jls-hh.de> wrote:
>
>> I am running a server under F11. It is a remote machine
>> which I have no
>> physical access to. It has a network connection. I wanted
>> to upgrade to
>> F12 using preupgrade again, but this time I am afraid I'll
>> run into
>> problems due to the size of /boot (194M, 153M free space).
>>

>> Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed?
>
> Not that I've heard.  500MB is still the "safe" minimum (from what I've read) for /boot for preupgrading.
>
> Maybe, this will help:
>
>    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade
>
> FWIW: I've never had good luck with upgrading Fedora.  For that reason, I've always done clean installs on separate partitions keeping the previous install and setting up a dual boot in case things go wrong.

I normally hand configure storage, but on one old (FC6) machine I had let the
installer do it, and a bunch of LVM stuff was used instead of partitions. This
worked until I decided to replace the 64 bit FC6 with 64 bit FC13. The install
went fine, and the old LVM stuff was still there, but it wouldn't boot any more.
I copied the appropriate stanzas from the x86_FC6, and the kernel gets loaded,
then it says it can't find the LVM parts to finish booting.

The pv (one partition) has x86_{boot,root}_fc6 and x86_64_{boot,root}_fc13 LVs
on it. I can mount the fc6 LVs just fine, just can't boot.

The moral of this story is that the O.P. really means "separate partitions" not
some spare LVs you have. Very sad, I really wanted to run both, since I have
some software which was not upgraded past FC6. Today's warning. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>