virtualization without VMX cpu

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Jul 20 13:47:36 UTC 2010

On 07/19/2010 07:10 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> solarflow99 wrote:
>
>> I have a P-4 2.8Ghz and it doesnt seem to have the VMX instructions
>> for virtualization.  What I notice is KVM uses QEMU for the hypervisor
>> instead?   I can't detach some hardware that I need for the VM to
>> recognize a USB pluged in, etc. Does anyone know if there is any way
>> around that?  perhaps there is something other than KVM that can do
>> this?
>>
> I assume you mean you got some error when you use the -usbdevice option in qemu?
>   Without knowing more I can't help a lot, and I'm not sure you want to do the
> VM that way anyway.
>
> Things you can try:
> - tell us what happens when you use the -usbdevice with qemu, it has worked for
> me in the past.
> - try VirtualBox (suggested to me, don't use it)
> - try VMware (I have used that)
> - spend a few hundred bucks and get a better CPU
>    (not knocking you CPU, but this is the easy way out)
> - install the latest CentOS-5 release which has xen
>
> Just some thoughts, I like new CPU, CentOS/xen and VMware, in that order. Not my
> dime, tho, so free advice is worth what you paid.

A new CPU will not help if the BIOS and chipset do not support
virtualization. My laptop has a 64-bit AMD chip without virtualization,
and VirtualBox works fine. Without hardware virtualization, IMHO,
VirtualBox is probably the better solution. Our company uses VMWare
Workstation. VirtualBox does not support 64-bit guest OS's when hardware
virtualization is not enabled.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix