OT: Cloud Computing is coming to ...

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Jul 20 16:38:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 09:27:07 -0700,
  Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > How does one explain Fedora Games SIG?
>
> A customized spin of Fedora with games :), Like KDE spin, LXDE spin, XFCE spin, SugarSpin, ..., etc.  I can ask Bruno Wolffe for more information on the Games spin if needed, but I am happy as it is :)

The Games SIG is different than the Games Spin. The Games Spin is essentially
a demo. Though with the improvement of video support and larger usb drives,
having a live Games USB device that you actually use is becoming practical.
(Though you would probably use a custom spin, since there are a lot of games
not on the Games Spin that you might want on a live usb.)

The Games SIG is also important for getting games packaged for Fedora. In
case you didn't know getting packages reviewed is hard since there are more
needing review than there are available reviewers. When I wanted to package
Collosus, Jason Tibbs promptly did a review and sponsored me. This happened
because of the Games SIG. If it had been some other random package, I might
have had to wait a long time to find a sponsor and get a review.

> And anyone can host those "cloud computing services" using Fedora if anyone would want to  make money selling those services :)

"Cloud" is a buzzword these days. It seems to cover a number of different
hosting models.