Jobs in Cloud Computing

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 21:18:19 UTC 2010

On 20 July 2010 21:49, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On 07/20/2010 01:34 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:13:41 -0700
>> JD wrote:
>>
>>> Work directly with our customers to create Salesforce based solutions
>> Now it is all clear. Cloud computing is a sales gimmick.
>>
>> I bet it is almost as meaningful a term at .Net :-).
> Maybe so, but this is how biznizmen try to stay
> in the game. Most well educated computer scientists
> will probably find this to be a hollow and vaccuous
> solution which will sprout a plethora of problems which
> in turn will sprout a plethora of solutions to problems
> caused by  the originial soultion ....ad infinitum.
> Soon, you will see colleges offering courses in cloud
> computing.
>
> I kept wondering: What solution(s) does cloud computing
> offer that 10gigE clusters do not?

Rapid scalability. Where I'm based we've been waiting for some time
now for a few new machines for data processing to arrive, it would
have been nice to just be able to increase capacity when we needed it
(and they'll probably spend some of their time sitting idle when they
do arrive). Presumably also if you have a good business idea then
cloud computing means you can very quickly get it set up without a lot
of overheads and investment in infrastructure. As you scale larger,
and if you find you have constant demand on processing or storage, you
might find it becomes more economical to maintain your own resources,
but most of us don't run our own power plants or water treatment.

--
imalone