F 13 installation trouble

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 07:04:15 UTC 2010

  On 07/20/2010 09:30 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> hi,
>
> I did a fresh text based install on my system today.
>
> On boot, I get:
>
> "Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)"
>
> Can you folks please tell me how to get around this?  I googled up and
> it looks like a grub issue or something, but I haven't been able to
> correct it yet from the posts[1]. They speak of lilo, or of compiling
> the kernel with modules or something. I'm installing from a Fedora 13
> dvd, so I can't quite compile myself a kernel.
>
> thanks,
>
> regards,
> Ankur
>
> [1]
>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/kernel-panic-not-syncing-356086/
> [2]
>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/kernel-panic-not-syncing-vfs-unable-to-mount-root-fs-on-unknown-block-361735/
> [3]
>> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/gentoo-linux-help/44588-i-get-kernel-panic-not-syncing-vfs-while-booting.html
It would help if you did the following:
Boot the install DVD into rescue mode.
It will mount your installation as /mnt/sysimage
Let it mount it, because it will ask your permission.
If you have a usb stick, insert it, and mount it, and copy to it
1. /mnt/sysimage/boot/grub/device.map
2. /mnt/sysimage/boot/grub/grub.conf
3. /mnt/sysimage/var/log/boot.log
4. /mnt/sysimage/var/log/messages

Then using whatever system you used to post your message,
reply and attach those 4 files which you saved on usb stick.