OT: Cloud Computing is coming to ...

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 21:52:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 16:34 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> 2010/7/21 Phil Savoie <psavoie1783 at rogers.com>:
> > Makes a good argument for top posting, doesn't it?
> >
> > Just teasing...
>
> Personally, I wish people wouldn't quote much of anything at all
> unless absolutely necessary to illustrate a point.

Agreed.

> I've moved into
> the 20th century and read email in Gmail where threaded conversation
> view makes quoting nearly completely unnecessary.

Meanwhile, some of us prefer the 21st century (:-) but threaded
conversations are not something introduced by Gmail. Every mailer I've
ever used has threaded conversations. Maybe we're talking about
different things.

> In fact, it makes top posting preferable since Gmail hides all the
> bottom posted material.  It's still there if you need to read it, but
> generally you don't. ;-)

With a threaded conversation you *don't* need it unless some specific
part of it is being commented on, in which case top-posting just makes
it harder.

I say this as a user of Gmail who takes care not to top-post on list
posts. That of course requires a tiny amount of work, so many, even
most, webmail users don't bother. I'm pretty sure the original sin in
this case can be traced to Outlook. For many users Outlook was their
first experience of email (I'm talking about a decade or more ago) so
they assumed that was the way it was supposed to work and when webmail
came along it was designed to look similar. Another example of how MS
dominance has made things worse instead of better.

poc