"exclude" in yum.conf and yumex.conf

Jim Tate binarynut at comcast.net
Wed Jul 21 22:13:34 UTC 2010

FC13-i686

I do not want to update the Fedora kernel, kernel-headers.
  I put in  yum.conf and yumex.conf , exclude=kernel and
exclude=kernel-headers but yumex still tries  to update the kernel. Why ?

I do not have any kmods or kernel-devel installed

yumex]
autorefresh = 1
recentdays = 14
proxy =
exclude = kernel
exclude = kernel-headers
debug = 0
color_install = darkgreen
color_update = red
color_normal = black
color_obsolete = blue
plugins = 1
yumdebuglevel = 2

yum.conf

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum/$basearch/$releasever
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
installonly_limit=3
color=never
exclude=kernel
exclude=kernel-headers
#  This is the default, if you make this bigger yum won't see if the
metadata
# is newer on the remote and so you'll "gain" the bandwidth of not having to
# download the new metadata and "pay" for it by yum not having correct
# information.
#  It is esp. important, to have correct metadata, for distributions like
# Fedora which don't keep old packages around. If you don't like this
checking
# interupting your command line usage, it's much better to have something
# manually check the metadata once an hour (yum-updatesd will do this).
# metadata_expire=90m

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d