Non-graphical Boot and Terminal Font

David Liguori liguorid at albany.edu
Thu Jul 22 12:37:04 UTC 2010

I prefer to boot in non-graphical mode then load the Xwindow system, or
not, as desired.  To this end I set my default runlevel to 3 and delete
the option "rhgb quiet" in grub.conf, as is well documented.  In past
releases the startup messages would change from 80 to 132 columns early
on (no doubt in preparation for displaying them in a graphical window
during startup if you choose that option) , but the shell prompt in the
end was back to 80 columns.  In F13, though, it remains small.  This is
hard on my eyes.  How do I get back to an 80-column shell?

My searches on this topic have been surprisingly unproductive.  I either
get hits on changing the xterm display, which is a whole other thing, or
passing a vga option to the kernel.  The latter can't be right because
the change is *after* Grub passes control to the kernel.  I tried this
and, indeed, it still changes to a small font during start-up.

"stty cols 80" does not seem to work.  In any case, I'd prefer to find
where it changes to a small font in the first place and stop it.

David