OT: Cloud Computing is coming to ...

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Fri Jul 23 05:05:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 19:14 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 06:58 PM, Les wrote:
> >
> Reminds me of GFS. Though it is certainly interesting technology,
> no one has come out with models that show it's performance
> benchmarks exceeding the performance of local storage.
> Does anyone know of large and mission critical databases that are
> heavily used, implemented with GFS?
> I think cloud computing may be interesting campus projects, but
> hardly a serious solution to critical business requirements.

Hardly. ...Really hard for those in the know to take this comment
seriously.

I've personally deployed Tier 1 databases - Oracle RAC in all of its
glory - on cloud infrastructure. Our RAC nodes outperformed their
physical counterparts in benchmark testing. And they did it with better
availability and redundancy built in.

That particular cloud solution had carrier grade stability for mission
critical applications as a base requirement. That goal was easily met.

I think you need to take a closer look at what this class of
architecture is really about instead of comparing it to technology
components that are not equivalents - in fact not even close. Cloud
infrastructure is not a single technology product to begin with.

--

“Leadership is the art of accomplishing more

--Gen. Colin Powell