Anything for home user and not the technical one??

Parshwa Murdia b330bkn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 16:40:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Christofer C. Bell
<christofer.c.bell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can certainly see "playing games" as an obstacle, but only if it's
> specific Windows games you have in mind.  For example, you'll be able
> to get World of Warcraft running under WINE (with some effort), but
> you're unlikely to ever play something like EverQuest II.
>
> I don't see reading email, and using Facebook and Twitter as
> obstacles.  There are dozens of mail clients for Linux, both command
> line and graphical.  Not only that, but Evolution is able to connect
> to and participate in a Microsoft Exchange environment. As for
> Facebook and Twitter, Fedora integrates with both Twitter and Facebook
> out of the box without installing any additional software (Pino and
> Firefox for Twitter, Firefox for Facebook).
>
> In all honesty, for normal desktop use, the only "hoop" Parshwa should
> need to jump through is to setup RPM Fusion on the system[1].  Then,
> when his wife or kids visit some media serving website, or try to
> listen to their iTunes music in Rhythmbox, the system will prompt them
> to click 'OK" a bunch of times to automatically install the correct
> codec support.
>
> The use cases where Linux in general (and Fedora specifically) is not
> appropriate for a home desktop are few and generally hinge on only 1
> or 2 applications.  Please don't cast doubt on the capabilities of the
> software where those doubts are unfounded.
>
> [1] http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

But Christofer, there is one more type of online game, I am facing
problem in the game of chess. If you or your wife is having any
account at pogo.com, just login there, means here:

http://www.pogo.com/action/pogo/signin.do?returnType=game&returnValue=chess2

Loging with the credentials and then click at Beginners' zone and
there you would be seeing some list of tables, there select any room
(means e.g., Active Advantage, Barcelona, or Azure or like this
anyone, where you see the strength around 85 to 90) and in a new
popped up windows you wd be seeing some tables and players playing)

Here is the problem in this game, that when you try to play someone,
the windows is popped up but the game doesn't get started even though
the Java is installed and everything is running well. If you really
have account or your wife have, I hope you might be knowing.

Regards,
Parshwa Murdia