Firewall not getting displayed

Parshwa Murdia b330bkn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 16:56:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 9:08 PM, JB <jb.123abc at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Parshwa Murdia <b330bkn <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Please exit your firewall app (GUI).

> You should have a firewall dir like this:
> [root at localhost jb]# ls -al /etc/sysconfig/ip*
[snip]

The output of the command:
[root at localhost ~]# ls -al /etc/sysconfig/ip*
is:
-rw-------. 1 root root  784 2010-07-07 14:40 /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables
-rw-------. 1 root root 1776 2010-07-07 14:40 /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables-config
-rw-------. 1 root root 1753 2009-03-30 18:34
/etc/sysconfig/ip6tables-config.old
-rw-------. 1 root root  481 2010-07-06 16:52 /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables.old
-rw-------. 1 root root  742 2010-07-07 14:40 /etc/sysconfig/iptables
-rw-------. 1 root root 1763 2010-07-07 14:40 /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config
-rw-------. 1 root root 1740 2009-03-30 18:34 /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config.old
-rw-------. 1 root root  476 2010-07-06 16:52 /etc/sysconfig/iptables.old

> Let's save old rules:
> [root at localhost jb]# mv /etc/sysconfig/iptables.old
> /etc/sysconfig/iptables.old.saved
> [root at localhost jb]# mv /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables.old
> /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables.old.saved

Run both the two commands.
[root at localhost ~]# mv /etc/sysconfig/iptables.old
/etc/sysconfig/iptables.old.saved
[root at localhost ~]# mv /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables.old
/etc/sysconfig/ip6tables.old.saved

> Let's save current rules:
> [root at localhost jb]# mv /etc/sysconfig/iptables /etc/sysconfig/iptables.saved
> [root at localhost jb]# mv /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables.saved

Saved like this:
[root at localhost ~]# mv /etc/sysconfig/iptables /etc/sysconfig/iptables.saved
[root at localhost ~]# mv /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables.saved

> We have no rules files now.
> Plase start firewall: System-Administration-Firewall .

Restarted the Firewall from there after providing the root
credentials, but frankly speaking, there is the same screen without
any warning message.

> Close the startup window, input root password, and you will be greeted with
> a warning that the firewall is in inconsistent state and that you should
> create/accept new rules.
> You will see 2-panel screen with the usual rules items. You see them, do you ?
> If not we are already in a big doodoo ... It works on my system !

No warning message here!! The same blank screen of the firewall!!

> Please click on Apply button under the menu and confirm OK.
> See that the rules files were recreated.
> [root at localhost jb]# ls -al /etc/sysconfig/ip*tables
> -rw------- 1 root root 481 Jul 23 17:22 /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables
[snip]

So how to proceed? So at last I again did the following:

[root at localhost ~]# mv /etc/sysconfig/iptables.old.saved
/etc/sysconfig/iptables.old
[root at localhost ~]# mv /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables.old.saved
/etc/sysconfig/ip6tables.old

And also,

[root at localhost ~]# mv /etc/sysconfig/iptables.saved /etc/sysconfig/iptables
[root at localhost ~]# mv /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables.saved /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables

To undo the previous commands, its really amazing why is this happening?

Regards,
Parshwa Murdia