sun jdk vs java-1.6.0-openjdk

Joerg Bergmann email at jbergmann.de
Mon Jul 26 10:33:41 UTC 2010

  Am 26.07.2010 11:41, schrieb Andrew Haley:
> On 07/25/2010 05:43 AM, Bob Hartung wrote:
>
>>     I have loaded Fedora13 without a hitch and am impressed by the
>> improvements!
>>
>>     However, I am just now beginning Java programming and I am wondering
>> if there is any substantial difference between java-1.6.0-openjdk and
>> the sun jdk.
> They are based on the same source code and both conform to the same
> language specification.  For almost all purposes you won't see any
> difference.

I cannot confirm that. In real live, with Java apps not developed
for OpenJava, 50% of the "large" applets as developed using Sun
JDK fail with OpenJava. A simple example: The german tax office
has an online tax system called "Elster". There is an applet
for secure communication with Elster using public/private
keys, this applet fails using OpenJava. Another example is related
to javax.imageio, output of images to files simply does not work
in OpenJava. Installation of Sun Java is one of the first modifications
I do to Fedora. Unfortunately, on every update of OpenJava, OpenJava
would become the default Java again.

M$ has given the freedom of selecting between IE, Firefox, Opera etc.
It would be a good act of freedom to give the fedora user the choice
between OpenJava and SunJava. At now, half the Fedora System depends
on OpenJava (same story as of Windows depends on IE), for that reason
I cannot deselect OpenJava.

Joerg