F13 - Nvidia graphic driver - 3D acceleration problems

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 15:22:40 UTC 2010

On 24 July 2010 18:40,  <melanie78 at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I installed Fedora 13 x86_64 (Kernel 2.6.33.6-147.fc13.x86_64) and the nvidia driver 265.35 with the .run file described in this guide:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=234595
>
> After the installation the driver and the 3D acceleration worked fine. But after 1-2 hours and the installation of Skype and Wine the 3D acceleration doesn't work correctly anymore. I started World of Warcraft but the game was just a freeze frame and every few seconds a new frame.
>
> I checked glxgears, but the output is very bad:
>
> 68 frames in 6.9 seconds =  9.862 FPS
> 64 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12.747 FPS
>
> Unfortunately I have no idea why. I checked the bug report file from nvidia, but I can't see any error messages. Enclosed you can find the bug report.
>
> Can someone help me to find the error?

I've had lots of problems with my nvidia graphics card since
installing f13 - both with the nouveau and proprietary nvidia drivers.
I found the only way to get the proprietary driver to work reliably
was to install the latest f12 kernel
(kernel-2.6.32.16-141.fc12.x86_64). The problems i saw were different
to yours, but i think something changed between kernel versions 2.6.32
and 2.6.33 which adversely effects the nvidia driver.

I'd also recommend that you install akmod-nvidia from rpmfusion and
that you try to get help with this problem there. As the proprietary
driver is not part of fedora support on this list tends to be a bit
limited. That said, if you find a solution, posting it here would be
appreciated.

Regards,

Chris