sun jdk vs java-1.6.0-openjdk

fernando at lozano.eti.br fernando at lozano.eti.br
Mon Jul 26 16:49:54 UTC 2010

Hi there,

Maybe the problem is the way you installed Sun Java, The fact is Sun doen't bothered to provide real
installers (that is, packages) for Linux users. And Oracle also didn't so far.

OpenOffice depends on GCJ and so you cannot run OpenOffice without installing GCJ and so you'll have
issues with multiple Java installations.

But If you follow the steps outlined on jpackage.org about how to re-package Sun Java and install it
from correct RPM packages, then you use alternatives to select your default JRE and JDK, everything
works fone. I have this setup on multple machines for years, keeping both sun java, gcj and openjdk
updated since Fedora 9 without problem.

[]s, Fernando Lozano