fc13 preupgrade failure on swap

JB jb.123abc at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 09:10:30 UTC 2010

Don Vogt <dnvot <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> I have been using fedora since fedora 4 with great satisfaction. I tried to
> do an fc12 to fc13 preupgrade. All
> went fine until I was running anaconda ( I believe) with the install.img.
> I got a pop-up that said the swap
> device has not been created and that " The /etc/fstab on your upgrade
> partition does not reference a valid
> swap device" When I click OK the system reboots and the upgrade fails.
>  I have checked my swaps in the fc12 system and they seem OK, Top shows
> the swap partitions are there " I
> actually have three swap partition on two different drives. I checked
> the swaps in fstab on fc12 using
> findfs and they seem OK, UIIDs and /dev entries. I suspect that the upgrade
> partition it refers to is in the install.img.
>  I have another partition with fc13, on which I used preupgrade to upgrade
> from fc12 It was a very smooth procedure. That kind of rules out hard drive
> problems. Unless something changed.
> Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix fstab, or what the problem
> might be?
> Also, is there a way to undo the preupgrade attempt, so I can try again?
> Any other suggestions will be welcome.

Hi,
please give us more info (do not cut/edit the output).

Layout of both disks:
# fdisk -l /dev/sda
# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

For F12 (the one you try to preupgrade) log in and get an output:
# cat /etc/fstab
For F13 (the one you already preupgrade-ed) log in and get an output:
# cat /etc/fstab

By the way:
when you run preupgrade the next time (2nd, 3rd, etc) you are asked whether
you want to continue from the point of previous stop/failure point or from
the very beginning.
IMPORTANT: I would advise you to stop changing anything on your machine (disk
layout, swaps, /etc/fstab, etc) so that the data I ask you for above is true
from that point on and we can help you !
JB