securing a fedora 12 pc on a lan

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 20:52:09 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, July 27, 2010 20:22:59 mike lan wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, July 27, 2010 18:49:13 mike lan wrote:
> > > the fact is I don't like being spied on my desktop ,
> > >
> > >  this means there is no fast way to secure a fedora 12 pc  ?
> >
> > Exactly what kind of security are you interested in?
> > What do you mean by "being spied"?
>
> I mean "looking at my dekstop" on the other room, or installin some
> rootkits  to gain access to the pc on my behalf.

If you

(a) use default F12 installation options (firewall and SELinux turned on),
(b) don't give away your user and root passwords to anyone (and use strong
password choices),
(c) don't do any ignorant changes to the system (ie. understand what you are
about to do *before* you actually do it),

you'll be pretty safe from anyone gaining any access to your F12 box. In
general, Linux (Fedora in particular) is considered more safe than windows in
this regard.

So if you try not to do anything stupid, the default Fedora installation will
provide you with quite good security.

HTH, :-)
Marko