Best way to replace a drive with a clone

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Sat Jul 31 17:59:44 UTC 2010

According to the SMART stats, the single drive in my Fedora server is
starting to fail.  Rather than backup, do a clean install, and rebuild,
I'd like to try to clone the existing drive to a new one, then swap in
the new one.

What are the restrictions on doing this and the best way to accomplish
it?  I have the Clonezilla Live CD that I use for backup.  Will that do
it?

Or will a straight dd do it?
     add new drive as PATA slave /dev/sdb
     dd -if /dev/sda -of /dev/sdb
     remove /dev/sda
     change the jumpers on /dev/sdb to match what was /dev/sda
     reboot

In the dd procedure, I'm not sure what to do if sdb is larger than sda.

--
-- Steve