What is "nomodeset" SUPPOSED to do?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 12:01:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 04:18:08 -0700
Mike Fedyk wrote:

> > The newest kernels have (God knows why) moved the video
> > mode setting into the kernel (the only explanation I've
> > ever seen for why this is a good idea is that the monitor
> > goes "click" less often that way). So all the programming
> > of the hardware specific clock rates and registers on the
> > video card happen in the kernel during initial boot
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/268378/
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/316274/

Actually, there is one really excellent side-effect of kernel
mode setting: The ability to manually override the EDID info
with a kernel boot parameter (figuring out how to use it might
be a different problem :-). This will finally be a single point
where you can lock down a monitor's video setting so the system
will boot right even when the monitor isn't currently connected
via the KVM switch or the monitor itself reports bogus EDID
info.