radeon to nvidia to radeon produces pain

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Tue Jun 1 19:32:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:45 AM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
>> On Monday 31 May 2010 08:48 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>> A friend suggested that I need a radeonhd driver.
>>> yum provides '*radeonhd*'
>>> lists at least two.
>>> Do I need a radeonhd driver, and, if so,
>>> how do I tell which one will work?
>>>
>> radeonhd has been abandoned and is not being maintained any more. The
>> radeon stack is the prescribed open source driver for all ATI cards now.
>
> The radeon stack (why is it called a stack?)

People might call it a stack because there are multiple components
(xorg, mesa, etc.)

> seems not to like my Radeon HD 3650.
> To get it to work at all, I had to install FC11 again.
> Though the card is still being overclocked, all I get is vesa.
>
> Did any version of radeonhd ever work for Radeon HD 3650?
> If so, how do I install it?

The radeonhd driver is unmaintained.  It has been removed from later
versions of fedora.

try booting with "nomodeset" in the kernel command line (hint: press
"e" while in the grub boot menu)

I recommend updating to a newer version of fedora.  It will have a
newer version of the radeon driver.