F13: Evolution icons - configurable?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Jun 2 20:55:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 16:41 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded to Fedora 13, and am finding the evolution mail
> client icons a bit awkward. I use KDE for the desktop. I found this
> image on the 'net of basically what it use to look like:
> http://www.backuphowto.info/files/images/howto/2007/linux-screw-10-total-4-unread-evolution.png
>
> Personally I preferred the old icons, is there any way re-install them?
>
> If not, then:
>
> 1) I used to have both icons and text on the taskbar (as in the
> picture). Now I only have the icons. Anyway I can get both back again?
>
> 2) The icons are a bit small. Anyway to increase their size?
>
> 3) The icons are quite close together, and over to the left of the
> application window. As seen in the picture, the icons used to be spread
> along the top. Anyway to spread out the icons a bit?

Okay, it seems all 3 above are related. My work PC is still running F11
(until Friday), and I had a look at its Evolution settings today.

Using 'gconf-editor' these 2 were set:

   /desktop/gnome/interface/toolbar_icons_size  "large-toolbar"
   /desktop/gnome/interface/toolbar_style       "both"

Now, just by stopping/starting Evolution I could change these settings,
and see the effect. If I changed the toolbar style to 'icons' and used a
'small-toolbar', then I get pretty much exactly what I have under F13.
(In fact the only difference seems to be the icon for 'delete message'.)
If I changed it back to a style of 'both' - that is, icons and text, and
a large toolbar, then the icons are more spread out, presumably because
they have to cater for the text underneath as well now. It all appears
as I want it.

So, at home with F13, I set both of these using gconf-editor - to use a
large toolbar with both icons and text. I restarted Evolution, and
nothing changed. I logged out and in; no change. I rebooted the machine;
no change.

Gconf-editor (and gconftool-2) shows that these values have been set. I
can also seem them in my ~/.gconf/... xml file. But for some reason
Evolution (and others?) is ignoring them.

I'll play a bit more with this, but this seems like a bug to me.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001