F13: kvm guest screen resolution / kvm broken setup

Christoph A. casmls at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 21:29:25 UTC 2010

On 06/03/2010 10:50 PM, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 18:51 +0200, Christoph A. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running a kvm guest (F13) on a F13 host but didn't managed to get a
>> reasonable screen resolution in the guest OS. I used cirrus and vga but
>> was not able to get a resolution higher then 800x600.
>> I tried also to manually add some resolutions to the xorg.conf but
>> without success.
>>
>> Would be great if I could get at least a resolution of 1280x960.
>> Is someone using kvm-qemu with decent resolutions?
>>
>> The majority of sites recommended vga for high resolutions but it didn't
>> work out so far.
>>
>> kind regards,
>> Christoph
>
> I'm not using libvirt (using qemu directly instead), but you could
> switching to vesa VGA by switching the graphics card to "std" instead of
> "cirrus logic".
>
> Be warned that -vga std is somewhat buggier (but far more flexible).

As I wrote I tried also the vga driver but without success,

...but today an upgrade broke my kvm setup, so I have to fix that before
trying again to set the resolution...

kind regards,
Christoph
OT:
In case someone is also having troubles after updating, error message
when starting VM:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line 799, in
run_domain
     vm.startup()
   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1256, in
startup
     self._backend.create()
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 317, in create
     if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: internal error Process exited while reading console log
output: char device redirected to /dev/pts/4
Could not initialize SDL - exiting